March 29, 2010 — Herbert Wellness Center — The Herbert Wellness Center staff is excited to announce the expansion of the facility is underway! The Wellness staff and the construction team are committed to minimalizing the impact on our members. We guarantee the end result will be well worth the minor inconveniences during construction. We ask for your patience and understanding.
What is expanding?
• The fitness room will almost double in size—from 10,000 sq. ft. to 16,500 sq. ft. The room will expand into the courtyard area. Additional restrooms will also be added.
• Above the expanded fitness room will be two more multi-purpose rooms, a new Studio Cycling room, and a Pilates studio with reformer machines.
How long will the expansion take?
Approximately one year. We anticipate completing the project by March 2011.
What are the stages of the construction project?
Construction will take place in phases. The following is a brief explanation of how the expansion will progress:
1. Prepare the courtyard by relocating trees, removing pavers, etc.
2. Prepare the outdoor basketball courts to become the construction staging area.
3. Initiate construction in the courtyard.
4. Add exit doors from the pool to the outdoor basketball courts.
5. Build a temporary construction wall along the columns in the fitness room and move the cardio equipment to Centre Court.
6. Move the selectorized and free weights to Centre Court.
7. Remove the 2nd floor (courtyard side of the atrium) windows for the new hallway.
How will this affect me?
Here is what you can expect:
• Centre Court will become a temporary fitness room and house the cardiovascular equipment, the selectorized weight equipment, and a limited number of free weights. Due to the delicate nature of the flooring in Centre Court, we have to limit the use of free weights in that area.
• The outdoor basketball courts will not be available during the construction phase since they will serve as the staging area for building equipment and supplies.
• The main gymnasium on the second floor will remain open however; free-play will be limited when intramural basketball, club sports, and other student activities are taking place.
• Activities that typically take place in Centre Court and the outdoor basketball courts will have to be relocated to other areas of the facility, mostly the main gymnasium on the second floor and multi-purpose rooms A and B.
« Back to News Releases