Counselors are responsible for the safe and enjoyable participation of campers in all activities. Counselors should at all times act as positive role models and be enthusiastic and supportive of the instructors and camp administrative staff. Counselors are expected to maintain open lines of communication with summer camp staff and work in a cooperative manner with other group counselors in fulfilling roles and duties.
Job Application and Deadline
We are no longer accepting applications for Mini canes Camp 2016.
Job Responsibilities include:
- Model good-sportsmanship in sports-related activities through enthusiastic, non-competitive participation and support.
- Helping other instructors and counselors to maintain discipline during each activity.
- Assist in Arts and Crafts through participation or working with small groups upon request of instructor. Assist with clean up and discipline.
- Administer discipline according to University of Miami Summer Camp policies.
- Responsible for supervision, performance, discipline, and evaluation of program aides.
- Supervise group in locker room before and after swimming and assist in dressing and showering before entering the pool area.
- Aid in the supervision of drop-off and pick-up according to group schedule.
- Leading group from one activity to another in an orderly manner.
- Instruct and supervise all campers time with fun and creative activities. Prepare daily lesson plans, equipment lists and plans for rain.
- Keep accurate attendance records, incident and accident reports. Report them immediately to the Operation Director for Administration.
- Supervise lunch as well as snack activities and ensure cleanliness of area.
- Interact and discuss child’s participation, performance, and behavior with parents in a professional manner and on a weekly basis as necessary.
- Be available during the entire camp day, 8:30 a.m. - 4:15 p.m. (Counselors may not attend class during these hours) and entire camp June 13 through August 5. Staff training on Saturday, June 11, is mandatory. No exceptions
- Attend a weekly counselor meeting.
- Maintain the cleanliness and organization of camp storage room.
- Participate in theme days, special events, carnivals, and “Friday Extravaganza”.
- Plan a weekly special activity for your group as desired (i.e. Crazy Hat Day, Talent Show).
- Participate and assist in the coordination of daily morning warm-up exercises.
- Other duties as assigned.