Membership to the Herbert Wellness Center is open to the University community and their spouses and dependents. Non-members may participate in a number of programs and services but membership is exclusive to the UM family.
UM students, faculty, staff, alumni (minimum 15 credits), retirees, Citizens Board members and the Board of Trustees as well as their spouses/same-sex partners and dependents are eligible to join.
Note: faculty and staff of the Miller School of Medicine must join the Medical Campus Wellness Center but have reciprocity at the Herbert Wellness Center.
If you meet the eligibility requirements and this is your first time joining the Herbert Wellness Center, then you need to visit the sales office located on the second floor, room 219. The sales office is open Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. (The office is closed on official University holidays.)
If you come to the sales office during non-operating hours, just go to the front desk and sign yourself in as a guest. We will credit the guest fee(s) (maximum 3) towards the purchase of your membership, provided you join within seven days of purchasing the guest pass.
If you want to renew a current or expired membership you may do so by calling the sales office at 305-284-5433. If your membership has not expired yet you can renew online by visiting canelink.miami.edu.
You must be able to prove eligibility based on your membership category:
• Faculty and staff: University issued identification (‘Cane) card
• Alumni: UM diploma or Alumni Association membership card and a photo ID.
• Citizens Board: Citizens Board membership card and a photo ID.
• Board of Trustee member: University issued ‘Cane card or a photo ID and confirmation of BOT status.
• Retiree: UM retiree ‘Cane card
• UM Students: University issued ‘Cane card
• Spouse, same-sex domestic partner: Photo ID. If the last name is not the same as the primary member, then a copy of a marriage certificate is required. Same-sex domestic partners must complete a certification process at the Graduate School (students) or at Benefits Administration (all others).
• Dependents: Birth certificate, driver’s license, or state of Florida ID card. If dependent child’s last name is not the same as the primary member, then a copy of the member’s marriage certificate or court papers proving adoption or legal guardianship is also required. Note: dependent is defined as an unmarried child 26 years of age or younger who is financially dependent and living at home or away at school.
All members can pay for their membership with cash, check, credit card, or electronic funds transfer (bring a cancelled check). Faculty and staff have the additional option of paying for their membership through open-ended payroll deduction.