Staff - Assistant Area Director
Thank you for your interest in
joining the professional staff in the Department of Housing and Residential Life at
the University of Miami. The Assistant Area Director positions in our
department are crucial to tying together our residential college
system. They will work daily with our extremely talented and diverse
student body, student staff, and resident faculty. In this role, you
will truly have the opportunity to shape a vibrant living and learning
community and be a part of a dynamic staff team.
Please feel free to contact the
Department of Housing and Residential Life at (305) 284-4505 should you have
any further questions or concerns after reviewing the Assistant Area Director position and application information.
Assistant Area Director Job Description
The University of Miami is home to nearly 15,400 undergraduate and graduate students from every state in the nation and 140 nations around the world. The Department of Housing and Residential Life is home to an extensive and diverse residential program featuring six residential communities. The cornerstone of the residential program is a system of five residential colleges that blend the Oxford and Cambridge tradition of live-in faculty with the American commitment to student development and academic success. Residential Colleges range in size from 400 – 900 students. The University also offers University Village, an apartment area housing approximately 800 upper-class students. We strive to fulfill our vision – Student Housing for Student Success.
General Description (Purpose and Function):
Assistant Area Directors report to and assist the Area Director in the day to day management and administration of the residential college. Responsibilities include: crisis management; serving as a judicial officer; collaborating with the Area Director and live-in faculty; co-curricular and educational programming initiatives (in particular, First Year Experience or upper-class experiences); administrative operations; assisting with the selection, training, and supervision of the student staff; and assisting with the development of a comprehensive student development program. The position involves significant night and weekend work.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
Education Requirements (Essential Requirements):
- Serves as a member of the senior staff team in the respective residential college and communicates and collaborates on a regular basis with the Area Director and faculty in residence.
- Meets regularly with resident faculty and staff to coordinate and plan programming efforts, collaborate with other Residential Colleges, and address learning outcomes.
- Participates in and develops professional and student staff training, selection, and recruitment.
- Assists in the supervision of 19 - 22 Resident Assistants.
- Represents the Department of Housing and Residential Life on University committees, assumes leadership for various responsibilities of the department, participates fully in the professional activities of the Division of Student Affairs and develops collaborative relationships with other offices in the division.
- Provides leadership to staff and students in developing a living-learning environment. Creates an atmosphere of cultural, intellectual, and academic growth. Promote diversity awareness and appreciation.
- Enforces University and Departmental policies and procedures and serves as an investigator/hearing officer for basic level university disciplinary violations in judicial cases assigned by the respective Area Director or Dean of Students Office.
- Manages summer housing or conference operations.
- Assumes weekday, weekend, and holiday/vacation duty coverage of campus through serving in the professional staff on-call duty rotation to provide appropriate crisis response for all on campus residents.
- Serves as the primary administrator responsible for responding to and managing roommate conflicts and mediations, including basic student and parent follow up.
- Respond to parents / legal guardians and other constituencies regarding student issues, concerns and questions.
- Assists with all college programming efforts including program tracking, assessment and leading a program team or advising the college council and promotes student leadership opportunities in the residential area.
- Facilitates Mapworks to assist with student retention efforts.
- Assists in the coordination of the opening and closing of the residential colleges in accordance with outlined policies.
- Serves as a liaison with Housekeeping and Maintenance staffs; monitors the environment closely.
- Provides safety education and assists in monitoring security operations of the building.
- Maintains visibility and contact with individual students and student groups.
- In some areas, works collaboratively with an Academic and Career Advisor in Residence and 12 undergraduate Academic Fellows to create initiatives to further support the academic mission of the institution.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the respective Area Director and senior staff for Residential Life.
- *Assistant Area Director responsibilities may vary from area to area based on the direction of the Area Director.
- Master’s degree and previous residence life experience is required. A Master’s degree in college student personnel, higher education, counseling or related field is preferred.
Work Experience Requirements (Essential Requirements):
- Experience with supervision, student conduct, crisis response, living-learning communities, educational programming, working with faculty, and working with a diverse student population is desirable.
- Salary is commensurate with experience.
- Fully furnished two or three bedroom apartment.
- Meal plan when dining facilities are open.
- Vacation and benefits provided by the University.
Submit resume, cover letter,
and names (e-mail and phone numbers) of three references. Applications
can be sent via mail, fax, or electronic to this address:
of Housing and Residential Life
The University of Miami
1211 Dickinson Drive
Coral Gables, FL 33146
(305) 284 - 4505
(305) 284 - 4956 (fax)
Applications will be accepted
until positions are filled. UM will be interviewing on-site at ACPA and
University of Miami is an equal opportunity/affirmative action
institution. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply.
NOTE: An applicant is not an
"official" candidate until completion of the on-line HR application.
- Begin at UM employment website – http://www.miami.edu/careers
- Select campus “Gables/Marine.”
- Leave other drop down menus as “Search All.”
- Leave the field for “Keyword or Position #” blank.
- Click on “Search Jobs.”
- Scroll through the job results page, clicking “Next” at the bottom of the page as appropriate, until you find the job titled “Area Director” or “Assistant Area Director” (depending on the one for which you are applying) for Housing and Residential Life.
- Click the job title link – either “Area Director” or “Assistant Area Director.”
- To apply, click “Apply Online.”
- Follow the onscreen instructions to register on the Careers website and apply to the desired position.
- To complete your application, click “Submit” on the final application page and make sure you receive both a confirmation screen on the website as well as a confirmation e-mail at the address you provided during website registration.
- Any questions or concerns about your application may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for your interest in the University of Miami and the Department of Housing & Residential Life!