The following information will guide you on how to add a dependent spouse or minor child to your SEVIS record and Form I-20 or Form DS-2019.

Required Documents:
  • Proof of relationship: If you wish to add your spouse or minor child to your SEVIS record, you will have to provide proof of this relationship to International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) either in the form of a copy of your marriage certificate translated into English, or in the form of your child’s birth certificate, also translated into English.
  • Proof of Funding: You will also have to provide ISSS with proof of funding to cover not only you, but also your dependent for one year. The proof of funding must be submitted in the form of a bank letter that is less than six months old, or a letter from your sponsoring department that is less than six months old. If a third party is sponsoring you, such as a family member, they will have to provide a letter from their bank that is less than six months old.
  • Biographical Information: You also need to provide ISSS with the following information for your new dependent: Last name, first name, middle name, gender, relationship to you, date of birth, city of birth, country of birth, country of citizenship, and country of permanent residence.
Issuance of Form I-20 or Form DS-2019: Once your application to add a new dependent has been reviewed and approved, new Forms I-20 or Forms DS-2019 will be issued for you and your dependent.

Applying for an F-2 or J-2 Visa: With the Form I-20 or Form DS-2019, the original proof of relationship, original proof of funding documents, valid passport, and current photograph, your dependent will be able to apply for his/her F-2 or J-2 visa from the U.S. Embassy in your home country. Please check the Department of State website to inquire what other documents your dependent may need to submit.

After entering the U.S.: Once your dependent has entered the U.S., you must immediately provide ISSS with copies of the newly stamped immigration documents: Passport biographic and expiration date pages, passport page bearing stamp from the last entry to the U.S., Form I-94, and Form I-20 or Form DS-2019. It is important to note that an F-2 dependent is not allowed to study full-time or work in the U.S. J-2 dependents are allowed to apply for employment authorization for a period of up to one year at a time.