Welcome to Orientation & Commuter Student Involvement at the University of Miami! Our office strives to meet the practical, social, informational, and advocacy needs of commuter students. We provide a variety of services and programs that are intended to enhance your education and facilitate community building.
We encourage each of you to stop by our office in the Shalala Student Center, suite 203, to meet the staff and learn more about the programs and events that are in place for you to take advantage of during the year. We hope that our programming and services will provide you the chance to become a more informed and more active member of the UM community.
Tips for Commuter Students
- Utilize your Commuter Assistant! Your CA is here to help you with any questions or concerns you may have as you transition into the UM community. More information about the CA program can be found here.
- Attend programs created by your CA. Attending these programs will provide you with more information about UM, college life, and afford you the opportunity to meet other first-year commuter students. Your CA will email upcoming programs to you each week, so check your email often!
- Get involved in the Association of Commuter Students (ACS) or another student organization. For more information on Student Organizations, click here.
- Stay on campus after classes...there's a lot going on here at night!
- Make friends in the residence halls...you never know when you might need a place to stay on campus!
- Get here early to beat traffic and find a good parking spot. You can tune into WVUM for the latest parking updates.
- Use Public Safety's escort service if you are on campus late at night. Call (305) 284-6666.
- If you are an incoming commuter student, attend a pre-orientation program specifically for commuter students to meet other commuters, spend the night on campus, and learn all about being a 'Cane, before the beginning of the school year! Check out the Great Start program for more information on signing up for this opportunity.