Where can I get information about Commencement exercises?

All activities related to Commencement are managed by the Office of Commencement, Building 21-T, 305-284-1821, or Please refer to the commencement web site for more information, at

Can I walk during the Fall semester commencement in December even though I graduated during the Summer 1 or Summer 2 semester?

Yes. There are two commencements held yearly: December and May. In order to walk in the December commencement ceremony, students must apply to graduate by the deadline. All students should apply to graduate for the correct term. So, for example, if you are planning to walk in spring, but will not finish your coursework until Summer, you must apply for Summer, but may walk in the spring ceremony
spring. If you missed the deadline, contact your academic advisor.

I missed the deadline to register for graduation, but was able to register late through my school. Will I still have a cap and gown and be listed in the program?

Maybe. Regalia that was not preordered is available on a VERY LIMITED first come, first served basis. Because of publication deadlines, we cannot guarantee that students who register after the deadline are listed in the program. If you want to be listed in the program book, and have reserved regalia, it is important to register to graduate before the deadline.

Do my guests need tickets for commencement?

No. Tickets are NOT required for any commencement ceremony at the University of Miami.

Is there a limit on the number of guests I can bring to watch me graduate?

There is no limit on the number of guests you can bring to any of the commencement ceremonies at the University of Miami.

How long does the commencement ceremony last?

Each commencement ceremony is approximately two hours in length.

Note: The academic procession will enter the commencement site fifteen minutes prior to the start of the ceremony.

Is there a reception for my school?

You will need to check with your school or college about any special receptions. Reception times and locations are listed on our web site, or click here , Reception Information

It’s commencement day. Where do I go, and when?

All graduating students are required to report to the Fieldhouse at the BankUnited Center one hour prior to the start of the ceremony. This is important because the academic procession actually LEAVES THE LINE UP SITE fifteen minutes before the start of the ceremony. All faculty report to the Faculty Lineup Site one hour prior to the start of the ceremony. Faculty Doctoral Advisers walking with a doctoral candidate should line-up with their doctoral candidate at the Fieldhouse.

Note: The academic procession enters the BankUnited Center fifteen minutes before the start of the ceremony.

Will there be a sign language interpreter?

Yes, there will be an interpreter at all commencement ceremonies.

Is there any cost for graduation?

No. The University of Miami covers all costs for all graduates’ regalia. After the ceremony, the regalia is yours to keep.

I am unable to pick up my cap and gown during the designated hours. Can someone pick it up for me?

Yes, as long as that student has your permission in writing.

Where can I order graduation announcements, invitations, etc?

Those can be ordered through Herff Jones - University of Miami.

Where can I buy the University of Miami commencement tradition, the Official Stole?

The Official UM Stole can be purchased when you pick up your regalia. The cost is $25 (credit card only). For more information, click HERE.

Will there be any photographs of me taken?

Yes, GradImages photographers will be at commencement and will take a picture of each graduate as they walk across the stage. A complimentary copy will be mailed to graduates, along with instructions to order additional prints. Personal photographs may be taken only before and after the ceremony. No one is permitted in the aisles during the ceremony. All graduates will have the opportunity to take photos in front of a banner with the University of Miami seal, located outside the BankUnited Center.

Will the ceremony be broadcast live?
Yes.  Visit on the day of the ceremony to watch the event.

Can I preorder a video of the ceremony?

Yes.  Video coverage of all ceremonies will be available. Go to and reserve your copy today.

What is available for guests with special needs?

Special needs parking is available right in front of the BankUnited Center. No reservation or pass is required. Golf carts are available for transportation of our special needs guests ONLY.

Guests with special needs can enter the special needs entrance on the first floor of the BankUnited Center. Special needs seating is available with access through the special needs elevator. Two additional guests can sit in the special needs seating. There is additional seating close by.  All special needs accommodations fill up on a first come, first served basis, so please plan accordingly. Doors open an hour before each ceremony.

Where can I rent a wheelchair for a guest with special needs?

We do not provide wheelchairs.  You may rent one at Bayshore Dura Medical: Call 305-821-1202. Please mention that it is for the University of Miami Commencement ceremony (Rental deliveries available upon request).

Have I ordered regalia?  Am I all set?

If you registered to graduate on CaneLink by the deadline, then you have ordered regalia.

When will I get my diploma?
Once all financial holds are cleared and your degree is posted by your school or college, your diploma will be processed. You should receive your diploma in the mail about eight weeks after graduation. Answers to more of your questions about Graduation and Diplomas can be found HERE. For immediate status of your diploma, search the order status of your University of Miami diploma here.

What do I wear?
Commencement does not have a dress code. Friends and family may dress however they are comfortable for the event.  Keep in mind that it can get chilly, as the ceremony is indoors.

I have other questions.  Who do I call?
You may contact the Office of Commencement at 305-284-1824 or