Robert Law Weed (1897 -1961 ), a native of Pennsylvania, studied architecture and engineering at the Carnegie Institute of Technology in Pittsburgh and served in both World Wars. He moved to Miami in 1919 to study under Richard Kiehnel de igned several homes in Coral Gables, opened a private practice in 192213 and later partnered with Edwin T. Reeder. Weed designed the Florida Tropical House for the 1933 Chicago World’s Fair a prototype of Subtropical Modern style. Locally his work included the Boulevard Shops on Biscayne Boulevard and, in Miami Beach, the Beach Theater and the original Burdine’s store (now the South Florida Art Center) on Lincoln Road, the 23rd Street Fire Station, and a number of residences and apartment buildings. His firm was hired to design the new University of Miami campus in 1944.
Marion Isadore Manley (1893-1984) was from Junction City, Kansas, received a B.S. degree in architecture from the University of Illinois, then joined her brother in Miami in 1917 and lived in Coconut Grove for the rest of her life. In 1918 she became the second female registered architect in the State of Florida, and the first in Miami. A friend nicknamed her “Archie” for her interest in architecture. Besides designing a number of private residences, in 1933 she collaborated with architect Phineas Paist in designing the U.S. Post Office and Federal Building in Miami. In the1940s, the University of Miami hired Manley, together with architect Robert Law Weed, to create a master plan for the new, redesigned campus, and to design several new buildings for it. Manley collaborated with Weed on the Dooley Memorial Classroom Building, among others, and with Robert M. Little on the Ring Theater. Manley herself created plans for twenty buildings on the campus. Well-respected but shunning publicity, over her long career she served as president of the Florida South chapter of the American Institute of Architects, vice-president of the Florida Association of Architects, and a member of the Miami Planning Board and of the Coral Gables Board of Supervising Architects.
Robert M. Little came to Miami from Philadelphia in 1925. He worked for Robert A. Taylor (designer of Roney’s Spanish Village on Española Way) before forming his own practice in 1933. He rose to prominence as a residential architect in Miami Beach prior to World War II, with many of his buildings in North Beach. After the war, he worked more frequently in Miami and is best known for his work on the Merrick Building at the University of Miami.