A threat, usually verbal or written, to detonate an explosive or incendiary device to cause property damage, death, or injuries, whether or not such a device actually exists. Typically delivered by telephone, the majority of such threats are intended to cause disruption, revenge, or play practical jokes, rather than warning of real devices.
• Download and complete the UM Bomb Threat Data Form
• Call your campus emergency phone number.
If you receive a bomb threat via phone ask the following questions:
• What time/day is the bomb going to explode?
• Where is the bomb located?
• What does it look like?
• What kind of bomb is it?
• What will cause it to explode?
• Did you place the bomb?
• What is your address?
• What is your name?
Attempt to identify the characteristics of the caller:
• Male or female
• Sober or intoxicated
• Nervous or calm.
• Other identifiable characteristics in the caller’s voice
• Background noise