The HHMI High School Scholars Program is an exciting opportunity for public and private students with a passion for science to gain hands on research experience. Students, work in teams, to conduct biomedical research over the course of seven weeks at the University of Miami (UM). Placements are available in biomedical engineering, neuroscience, ophthalmology, biology, and other research areas tailored to students’ interests and experience.
Student teams will be mentored by University of Miami professors, be responsible for an investigative project, prepare a research report suitable for publication, and give an oral presentation at a UM research symposium.
The 2013 program dates are from Monday, June 10, 2013 - Thursday, July 25, 2013. Application deadline is March 29, 2013. Selections will be announced in early April, 2013.
We consider applicants from Miami-Dade County who are entering their junior or senior year of high school. Admission is based on a combination of high school grades, courses taken, an essay, a letter of recommendation, and career goals. Students must submit all of the require materials before an admissions decision can be made. See “Application Procedure” for a list of required materials. Allow 3 to 5 days for mail delivery of application and materials in order to meet deadlines.
1. Complete application form.
2. Essay that addresses each of the following questions. Each question should be answered with at least one paragraph.
1. How did you get interested in science?
2. What have been your favorite sciences classes and why?
3. If you have conducted research before, what did you like best about it? If you haven’t done research before,
what makes you think you will like it?
4. What makes you feel that you want a career as a scientist?
5. How do you see research fitting into your profession 10 years from now?
3. Have a teacher, preferably a science teacher, write and RETURN TO YOU in a sealed, signed envelope, a letter of recommendation on your behalf.
4. Official high school transcript including your fall grades.
Enclose your completed application, essay, letter of recommendation, and official high school transcript IN A SINGLE ENVELOPE and mail to:
Office of Undergraduate Research & Community Outreach
Attn: Dr. Michael Gaines
1301 Memorial Drive
122 Cox Science Center
Coral Gables, Florida 33146
For additional information please contact the Office of Undergraduate Research & Community Outreach at 305-284-5058 or email firstname.lastname@example.org