The information below pertains only to the UM semester and year exchange programs, as well as the summer direct enroll programs.
You will receive UM credit toward graduation for all of the courses that you pass abroad on a UM program administered by the Office of Study Abroad. The grades and credits you earn from the host university will be converted to UM grades and credits and a grade report will be sent to Enrollment Services of the UM Registrar and will become part of your permanent UM transcript. The grades will be factored into your cumulative GPA. Your transcript will state that the courses were taken at the host university and the country in which the university is located.
Courses taken abroad can fulfill major, minor, and general education requirements, with approval of your academic advisor. Getting courses approved is an important step in the preparation process and should be taken care of while you are still on campus.
• Course equivalencies are granted by the academic departments, usually in a meeting with the department’s director of undergraduate studies or the department chair.
• When you make the appointment you should bring your D.P.R., the Study Abroad Course Equivalency Form, and descriptions of courses for which you need equivalencies.
• It is strongly recommended that you get equivalencies for more courses than you intend to take, so that you have flexibility in choosing your schedule after you arrive at your host university in case a course is canceled or there is a conflict in the schedule.
The completed Course Equivalency Form must be submitted to your Academic College or School. Upon receipt of your transcript by the Office of Study Abroad, which may be months after you return, your transcript will be posted and your marks will become part of your official UM transcript. The course equivalencies will be provided to the academic services division of your UM college or school for graduation clearance. If you are already abroad and your classes change, you may still be able to obtain approval from your academic advisor via email. We recommend that you keep all of your class assignments until you have secured approval for each class.
If you do not get equivalencies, the credit will be counted as general elective credit and will apply to the total number of elective credits needed for an undergraduate degree. If you intend to have a specific course count for any specific graduation requirement, you will need to get it approved for a course equivalency that satisfies that requirement. This is the same for both general education, major and minor requirements. You should discuss your degree requirements with an academic advisor in your school/college and department to determine the types of equivalencies you will need prior to departure.
There is an established grading scale for each university partner. To request a specific grading scale, please email us at email@example.com.
The host university will send a formal transcript to the Office of Study Abroad after the completion of your program. The timeline for issuing grades differs at each exchange institution; some take longer than others to provide this information. As soon as your official grades are received by UM, the Office of Study Abroad will have the courses, credits and grades put directly on your UM transcript. In general, the procedure for reporting your grades is as follows:
• The host university will send a formal transcript to the Office of Study Abroad after the completion of your program.
• The grades and credits you earn from the host university will be converted to UM grades and credits and a grade report will be sent to Enrollment Services of the UM Registrar and will become part of your permanent UM transcript.
• The grades will be factored in to your cumulative GPA. Your transcript will state that the courses were taken at the host university and the city and country in which it is located.
“Credit Only” Option
If you meet the requirements for eligibility as described in the University of Miami Undergraduate Studies Bulletin, you may choose the credit only option for one of your courses.
• If you would like to exercise this option, you must notify your Study Abroad advisor in writing no later than two weeks for regular semester programs and one week for summer programs after the start of classes abroad.
• Once you choose this option, you are committed to it; the grade you receive at the host institution will not appear on your transcript, but you will earn credit for the course if the converted grade is a C- or above. You will not receive credits for the course if the converted grade is below a C-.
• Please remember that you can only exercise the credit only option once per semester and only if you have a minimum GPA of 3.0. This option can be used only with elective courses or those courses that you do not intend to use to satisfy any major, minor, or general education requirement.
If you are enrolled in the University Honors Program, you are permitted to designate one course for “Honors” (H) credit. After you return, please notify the Honors Program Office in writing which course you would like to count for honors. A request will be sent to the director of the Honors Program.
In instances where approval has been granted for work to be completed after the normal term, an “I” will be posted on your UM transcript. The course must be completed with a passing grade before the end of one calendar year. An “I” not completed will be changed to an “F”.
If you withdraw from a course while abroad and it appears on the formal transcript that is sent from the host institution to the Office of Study Abroad, it will be transferred to your University of Miami transcript with the “W” symbol to designate the withdrawal. Be sure to go through the necessary channels at the host institution to drop any courses that you initially register for at the start of the semester.