The Plus One Scholarship is a program of educational enrichment that offers University of Miami undergraduates a tuition-free year or semester beyond the normal number of years required to complete an undergraduate degree. The program’s single purpose is to give you the opportunity to broaden and expand your learning and study subjects your degree requirements and other academic commitments may preclude.
The Plus One Scholarship is solely for enrichment and may include study abroad. Plus One courses may not be used to satisfy degree, major, minor, cognate, certificate, pre-professional, and/or other credentialing requirements of any sort.
The Plus One Scholarship gives you time to deepen and expand your education, to study something new, to pursue learning for its own sake. If, for instance, your degree program, major, or pre-professional track constrains your ability to explore a subject in a different realm, you should consider Plus One. Another reason to apply is if you discover a new academic interest too late in your college careers to engage it.
Successful applications will propose a set of Plus One courses that represent a clear educational vision, a case for enrichment, and specific goals for learning. You should confer with appropriate faculty when developing your proposal.
Students typically will apply for Plus One in their fifth or sixth semester (seventh or eighth for the School of Architecture) and present a plan for the next four (or three) semesters that integrates their Plus One courses with their degree requirements. Other options are, of course, possible and will be fully considered by the selection committee. A proposal may include a study abroad component, but Study Abroad must be completed before the Plus One year or semester. Plus One courses must be taken during the Fall or Spring semesters, not in the summer or during intersession.
The Plus One Scholarship only covers tuition. Plus One Scholars are responsible for all other costs including housing. However, Plus One Scholars are guaranteed on-campus housing during their Plus One semester or year and will have priority enrollment in their Plus One courses.
All Plus One courses will be factored into the student’s GPA and will count in all GPA-based honors awards. Plus One Scholars will receive their diplomas in the Plus One year, and they will be counted in the class in which they complete their education rather than the year in which they entered the University. They may participate in the commencements that reflect both their year of admission and their year of completion.
1) You must have completed 30 credits at UM
2) You must have at least one semester of coursework still to complete to satisfy your degree requirements. The application must be submitted before the start of the final semester of coursework.
3) You must demonstrate that you can complete all your degree requirements (major, minor, cognate, certificate, pre-professional, and other credentialing requirements, etc) without the Plus One program.
4) You must show that you will have completed required number of credits to graduate at the end of four years (or five years in the case of the School of Architecture).
5) During you Plus One semester or year, you must be enrolled full-time.
Plus One Question and Answer Sessions:
Monday, February 6 at 1:30pm in Hecht Residential College, Hecht 122
Monday, February 6 at 6:00pm in Hecht Residential College, Hecht 122
Tuesday, February 7 at 5:00pm in Hecht Residential College, Hecht 122
1. An essay that explains your reason for seeking the scholarship. The essay should focus on your intellectual growth and offer a coherent, cogent, and compelling argument for enriching your learning. Your proposed Plus One program should exhibit educational and cultural purpose and focus and should reflect deliberation and consultation with faculty advisors.
2. The courses that constitute your Plus One Program and the semester in which you will take them. These should contain a substantial number of upper division courses. You must consult with the appropriate departments to confirm that courses will be offered during your proposed time frame. Your application must show that, barring exceptional circumstances, the Plus One courses will be offered when you plan to take them.
3. A resume
4. An unofficial transcript.
5. The courses you have yet to take to complete your major and cognates, and when you plan to take them.
6. The courses you have yet to take to complete other requirements for certificates or pre-professional tracks, and when you plan to take them.
The deadline to apply is March 1, 2017 by 5 pm EST. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
The Plus One Scholarship application can be downloaded HERE.