What is Pre-Health?
Pre-Health is a track not a major. In addition to the courses required for your major, there are certain academic requirements you must meet as a student on the pre-health track.  Please review our student guide for details.

Who is a Pre-Health student?
A student who is interested in pursuing a professional career in one of the pre-health fields: medical, dental, veterinary, optometry, pharmacy, podiatry, or chiropractic medicine.  Students looking to pursue careers in nursing, physical therapy and pharmacy should contact the School of Nursing and Health Studies.

What is a pink sheet?

The pink sheet is an evaluation of your professional suitability based on a UM course instructor/faculty member’s observation.  It consists of a table where you are ranked superior, very strong, strong, average, poor, or no observation in the following categories:  character, emotional balance, maturity, motivation, communication skills, intellectual ability, judgment, and perseverance.  A pink sheet request form is submitted by the student to the Office of Pre-Health Advising and Mentoring.  Our office then sends the pink sheet to the evaluator for the evaluator to complete and return along with a letter of evaluation. Both are placed in the student’s pre-health file and posted on Blackboard upon receipt.

What is the total number of letters included in my committee or cover letter packet?
Six (6) letters of evaluation are submitted as part of your committee or cover letter packet. Three of these must be from science faculty, one from a non-science faculty member, and two from outside evaluators (i.e. physician, dentist, research mentor, etc.).

How do I know what courses qualify as a science?
The following courses are considered science with some exceptions: BIL, CHM, PHY, MTH, BMB, MIC, NEU, BME, HCS [except for 202, 206, 306 and 317], some engineering [IEN 311, 312], some kinesiology [KIN 221, 222, 232, 233, 246, 321, 322, 365, 366, 421] and some psychology courses [PSY 220, 291, 292, 403, 425, 491, 520]

The American Medical College Application Service has a course guide which outlines their specifications for science course listings.  Please click here to view AMCAS’ classifications.

Can I request a letter from a faculty member I am currently taking a class with?
Yes. However the evaluator should wait until the end of the course to submit the letter and pink sheet evaluation to the Office of Pre-Health.

If I reapply, can I use the same letters?
Yes, but you also may request new or updated letters.

How should my letters be submitted to the Office of Pre-Health Advising and Mentoring?
Each letter should be on the evaluator’s official letterhead, signed and dated by the evaluator.  The letter should include your full name and C number and should comment on your suitability for professional school.  Letters must be submitted directly by the evaluator to the Office of Pre-Health Advising and Mentoring as a pdf attachment .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address), fax (305-284-8278), or mail (P.O. Box 248283, Coral Gables, FL 33124).  Please note that email is the preferred method of letter submission.

Where do I get shadowing experience?

We suggest students contact any of the pre-health clubs’ shadowing coordinators.  Click here to visit our clubs’ page. You also may want to network and use your family contacts.

How much shadowing do I need?
Shadowing is a key component of your application, particularly medical, dental, and veterinary schools. Here are the basics:

  •   You can shadow anywhere; it does not have to be in Miami
  •   Patient contact is key
  •   We recommend a minimum of three, 40-hour shadowing experiences
  •   We suggest one shadowing experience with a general practitioner and two with specialists
  •   Additional cliical experience can be acquired by volunteering at a hospital, hospice or nursing home
  • When is the best time to take the standardized test (e.g. MCAT, DAT, etc.)?
    It is recommended that you take the appropriate test in the calendar year prior to the year that you plan to enter professional school. June and July are the most popular testing months; you will need to sign up well in advance. 

    For the Medical College Admission Test dates  and information, click here
    For the Dental Admission Test, click here
    For the Graduate Record Examination Test, click here

    When should I submit my application (AMCAS, AACOMAS, AADSAS, TMDSAS, etc.)?
    You should aim to submit your application no later than August.  The earlier the better!

    When should I submit my secondary applications?
    Again, the earlier the better! We suggest submitting secondaries within three weeks of receiving them.

    If I take a standardized test multiple times, what score do they look at?
    Most schools generally look at the best overall score but they will receive all scores. Try to take your professional school entrance exam only once and at most twice.

    Can I send my transcripts before I submit my professional school application?
    Yes. As soon as you create an online account and receive a personal identification number you can begin requesting your transcripts. However, if you currently are taking classes at an institution wait until you have received your semester grades to submit that school’s transcript.

    How do I submit my transcripts requests?
    Request transcripts directly from the registrar’s office at every institution you have received credits from.  Most schools allow you to do it online, while you may need to speak to the schools registrar office at others. The institutions will send the transcripts directly to the schools. For the University of Miami Office of the Registrar web site, click here.

    Will professional schools accept AP/IB credit?
    Some do, but not all.  Contact individual schools on their policies regarding AP and IB credit.

    Will professional schools accept online classes?
    Some do, but not all.  Contact individual schools on their policies regarding online courses.

    What do I do if I decide to reapply?
    To follow the reapplication procedures on our re-applicants page, click here.

    What if I am applying to off-Shore of international Medical Schools?
    The Request for Packet Submission to Off-Shore and International Medical Schools Form must be completed and submitted to the Pre-Health Office before the Office will submit your committee or cover letter packet to the designated schools.  No payment to the Office is required.  Please note that this form is not used for the following schools which instead utilize AMCAS and letter packets are submitted via the AMCAS Letter Writer Application: Ponce Health Sciences University School of Medicine, San Juan Bautista School of Medicine, Universidad Central del Caribe School of Medicine, and University of Puerto Rico School of Medicine.

    Can a pre-medical student submit the AMCAS application without an MCAT score?
    Yes. If you have an MCAT test date enter in your anticipated test date. If you have recently taken the test and have not yet received a score, enter in your test date.  Do not wait until you have an MCAT score to submit your application. Schools will automatically receive the score once it is released by the AAMC.  If you retake the MCAT, enter the new test date and resubmit the AMCAS application. You will not have to repay the application fee.