Untitled Document
After being hired, you will need to complete the appropriate paperwork in order to be entered in the payroll system and be able to apply for direct deposit. Please note: You will not get paid unless the Office of Student Financial Assistance and Employment receives your SEAF, Form I-9 (E-Verified), and W-4 forms. Click on the appropriate links to learn more.
Required Paperwork
After being hired, you will need to complete the appropriate paperwork in order to be entered in the payroll system. Please note: You will not get paid unless the Office of Student Employment receives your SEAF,W-4 form and form I-9/E-Verify has been completed. Click on the appropriate links to learn more.
SEAF Part 1
Your employer will complete a Student Employment Assignment Form (SEAF) - Part 1 with account information, hire dates, pay rates, etc. Your employer will submit this form directly to the Office of Student Employment or will ask you to bring the form in person to student employment.
Your supervisor will then receive the SEAF-2 via email. The SEAF-2 serves as verification that your job assignment has been entered in the Student Employment System. You are now ready to work!
Form I-9/E-Verified
As per the Immigration Control and Reform Act of 1986, all individuals must verify their identity and work authorization by completing a Form I-9. Section 1 of the I-9 must be completed electronically by the student and Section 2 by the employer. Your hiring department's E-Verifier will send you an email inviting you to complete the Form I-9 electronically. Please follow the instructions provided in the email you receive.
The University of Miami participates in E-Verify. E-Verify is an Internet-based system that allows an employer, using information reported on an employee’s Form I-9, to determine the eligibility of that employee to work in the United States. The E-Verify system is operated by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) in partnership with the Social Security Administration (SSA).
The I-9 requires that individuals verify their identity and authorization to work by submitting original documentation. Most students use a picture ID such as a state driver's license along with an original Social Security card. Click here for a list of other acceptable documents. Please present original documentation to the appropriate E-Verifier in your department when completing the I-9.
The job assignment WILL NOT be processed if the Form I-9 has not been completed. The Form I-9 and E-Verify must be completed before the student is allowed to work for the first time.
Additional information on the Form I-9 and E-Verify can be found here.
Information on e-verify procedures for international students can be found under the International Students tab.

If this is your first time working at the University of Miami, please complete and submit a federal W-4 form (Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate) to the Payroll Office. If you have already completed your W-4 but need to make changes, you can go to the Employee Tab in myUM to view your W-4 Information and make changes.

Federal withholding tax may be applied to your earnings regardless of credits, degree status, or hours worked. It all depends on the information you submit on the W-4.
If you are enrolled in school at least part-time in a degree seeking program and financially registered, your wages will not be subject to Social Security taxes or benefits. Students who are not enrolled at least part-time, are not financially registered, or are not actively pursuing a degree, will have Social Security taxes deducted from their pay. If you work in the summer and are not enrolled, your earnings are taxable.
Everyone must complete the W-4 form, regardless of whether or not you can claim exemption from federal withholding tax. If you do not complete a W-4 form, the University Payroll Office will apply federal withholding tax based on "0" allowances. For more information on tax liability and completion of the W-4, call Payroll/Disbursements at (305) 284-3664.
International students do not need to complete a W-4; however, they need to complete a Foreign National Form and submit it to the Payroll Office
Direct Deposit
All student employees are encouraged to apply for direct deposit.
To apply for direct deposit, log on to myUM at http://myum.miami.edu and follow these instructions:
Click on the Employee tab
Select Payroll, HR & Misc
Click on Direct Deposit listed under the Employee Information section.