Students without federal funding are considered Student Assistants (AO4) and can find jobs in many of the same departments as Federal Work Study students. UM departments and off-campus employers pay in full for these students’ wages, which makes finding a Student Assistant job challenging. The best time to look for these positions is early in the semester.

Whether a student is hired as FWS or Student Assistant, the pay rates and conditions of employment are the same. Students enrolled at least half-time are eligible to participate in the Student Assistant program.