Untitled Document

Please refer to the Student Employment at the University of Miami Policies and Procedures Manual for further information regarding your Federal Work-Study award or other student employment programs. 


Do I need to apply to the Federal Work-Study (FWS) program though a special form?
You must complete and submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be considered for the Federal Work-Study Program (FWS).

How many hours can I work?
You are allowed to work up to 40 hours per week. However, we strongly recommend no more than 20 hours per week during the periods of enrollment. Most students work an average of 10 to 15 hours per week. You must take into consideration your total FWS award. Once you earn the amount of your total award, you may no longer work under the Federal Work-Study Program for that particular award period. It is best to plan your hours of work to last throughout the year. Plan your work schedule with your supervisor by dividing your total FWS award by the pay rate and figuring out your best schedule for the 32 weeks of the academic year. You may plan to work more, less, or no hours at all during vacations and holidays.

Can I keep the money I earn under the Federal Work-Study Program?
Yes. You will be considered a University of Miami student employee. You will be paid on a bi-weekly basis for the hours you work during the preceding payroll period. Many students use their earnings to pay their personal expenses or to save for the following semester's tuition, books, or any other necessary educational expenses.

How do I find a Federal Work-Study job?
Once you have completed financial registration and have determined the available times you will have for work, visit the Office of Student Employment (37K). Review the cards posted outside of the office on the Job Bulletin Boards. You can also look on the Student Employment Web site, which is accessible through the Student Employment link found on the Financial Assistance Homepage. Select several positions which coincide with your interests, career goals and available work hours. Contact the employer for an interview. If hired, you must come back to the Office of Student Employment to finalize the assignment process and to complete the payroll process. You can contact the Office of Student Employment at (305) 284-6641.

What do I need in order to complete the payroll process?
You must have completed financial registration and all payments. Proof of this may be necessary if you completed these arrangements within the past three days. You must also bring with you documents that establish your identity and employment eligibility in order to comply with the Immigration Control and Reform Act of 1986. All students, regardless of place of birth, must present the appropriate documents before the payroll process can be initiated.

What is the difference between the Federal Work-Study Program and the Miami Commitment program?
Many students who participate in the Miami Commitment program participate in the Federal Work-Study program concurrently. This means that your Miami Commitment job is funded through the Federal Work-Study Program. The difference is in the selection process for participants in the Miami Commitment program, the referral process, the employment experience and support services offered to Miami Commitment students. Your award letter indicates your eligibility to the Miami Commitment program through federal funding.



askUM icon