The OAA is responsible for monitoring institutional compliance with SACSCOC requirements related to substantive change. A substantive change is a significant modification or expansion of the nature and scope of an accredited institution in terms of academic programs, instructional sites, contractual or consortial agreements, etc.
Examples of substantive changes are:
- Suspending admission to an academic program or off-campus instructional site;
- Establishing a new academic program;
- Establishing a new off-campus instructional site;
- Establishing a new dual degree program with another institution;
- Revising degree requirements for an academic program;
SACSCOC requires one of three different procedures for processing a substantive change. The procedures vary in depth and length of time required for processing based on the specific nature of the substantive change initiated by the University. The first step is to determine the precise nature of the substantive change.
Contact the Office of Assessment and Accreditation at (305) 284-3276 early in the process for a preliminary determination. Although only SACSCOC can make an official determination of the category of a change, OAA will facilitate the process by assessing the change internally and coordinating all communication with the SACSCOC.
Please refer to UM’s Substantive Change Policy and Procedure for reporting the change to the Office of Assessment and Accreditation (OAA).
For additional information on types of substantive change, please review SACSCOC’s Policy Statement on Substantive Change or contact Dr. Patty Murphy at 305-284-3276
UM Policies and Procedures Related to Substantive Change
- Approval Process Diagram
- Approved UM Policy on Substantive Changes and Procedures
- Approved UM Policy on Off-Campus Graduate Degree Programs
- Approved UM Policy on Contract/Consortial/Education Agreements
- Approved UM Policy for Online Courses - Revised January 2014
- Faculty Senate New Program and Program Changes Approval Process
- Graduate School New Program and Program Changes Approval Process
Substantive Change Forms