7 p.m. update on campus closures.
Coral Gables (August 25, 2012) — (7:20 p.m. Update) The University of Miami has announced that on its Coral Gables and Rosenstiel campuses all classes, events, and non-essential operations will remain closed through Monday. Plans are to resume normal operations on Tuesday. Residential dining halls will be open tomorrow from 7 to 10 a.m. Students on meal plans will be provided with boxed meals at that time. The Hurry ’Cane shuttle service does not run on weekends.
At present there are no plans to curtail clinical activities at the Miller School of Medicine; a decision will be made tomorrow morning about clinics on Monday. All non-essential services, including the medical library, on the medical campus are closed tomorrow. Classes for first- and second- year Miller School students have been cancelled on Monday.
Coral Gables Campus Parking Information:
1. Ponce and Pavia Garages are open to all vehicles with a valid UM permit, regardless of which color parking zone the permit is valid for, on a first-come, first-served basis. The permit must be displayed in order to enter the garage.
2. The second floor of the Ponce Garage is reserved for UM vehicles only.
3. Mahoney/Pearson Garage is reserved for resident students only.
4. University Village Garages are open to University Village students only.
Members of the University community are urged to monitor the UM homepage, the Emergency Preparedness website, the Emergency Information Hotline at 1-800-227-0354, and local media for updates concerning University activities and operations that could potentially be impacted by the storm.
The University Crisis Decision Teams will meet tomorrow morning, and another Storm Alert will be issued at 10:00 a.m.
People should not return to campus until the all-clear has been issued for their campus.Miami-Dade County is currently under a tropical storm warning and a hurricane watch. The worst weather is expected from Sunday morning through Monday morning.
The following are some action guidelines for before, during, and after a storm:
- Visit www.miami.edu/myUM, and on the right under the “Personal & Biographical Info” section, click “Personal, Address and Emergency/Evacuation Information.”
- Back up all computer files on a network drive.
- Make sure you have all important phone numbers for your supervisor and the UM Emergency Information Hotline,1-800-227-0354.
- If your work area is prone to flooding or leaks, access the need for covering office equipment with plastic; the materials can be procured from your Facilities Management/Physical Plant offices.
Gables Campus: 305-284-8282
Medical Campus: 305-243-6019
Marine Campus: 305-421-4066
- Monitor Official Social Media Feeds:
Emergency Management: Facebook and Twitter
- Supervisors and unit emergency planners should confirm through the UReady system that their unit’s continuity plan is up-to-date and that all relevant emergency plans and policies are readily accessible.
- Each unit’s human resources representative should download contact information from the Prepare Data Warehouse, and keep printed copies in multiple locations.
- All employees should prepare their area before leaving work today. Guidelines can be found on the Hurricane Preparedness website. For Miller School preparedness information, click here. We also highly recommend you take picture of your office if you have a smart phone or digital camera.
- Remain indoors.
- Do not open exterior doors or windows.
- Refrain from using alcohol or other impairing substances.
- Follow directions from your superior/University Officials.
- Webcam page may be available for real-time view of campuses.
- Students and employees should contact family members by any available means and advise them you are okay.
- Employees are encouraged to check in with their supervisor or designee to inform him/her your status and where you can be reached.
- Remain inside until local or University Officials say it’s safe to leave. If you must go outside, be cautious of fallen objects and downed electric wires.
- Await further instructions from University Officials
- Check for updates at www.miami.edu/prepare or 1-800-227-0354
Emergency Information Hotline is 1-800-227-0354
Faculty, staff, and students are asked to regularly monitor officialcommunications issued by the University. The latest information is posted on the UM homepage and the Emergency Preparedness Web site at www.miami.edu/prepare. Information is also available at the University’s Emergency Information Hotline at 1-800-227-0354. Emails will be sent in the form of dated Storm Alert advisories.
All members of the UM community should take steps to ensure that the University can communicate with you in case a storm or some other emergency threatens our area. Make sure the University has your current contact information by verifying your profile (Personal, Address and Emergency/Evacuation Information) on myUM. When a situation warrants, mass text and voice messages and emails containing emergency information will be sent.
After a storm: Students, faculty, or staff who are forced to evacuate or temporarily relocate to another area should notify the University of their new location and contact information by going to https://recover.miami.edu.
Campus Safety Phone Numbers
Life-Threatening Emergency at Any Campus: 911
Coral Gables Campus
UM Police Department: 305-284-6666
Miller School Campus
Security Department: 305-243-6000
Rosenstiel School Campus
Campus Safety: 305-421-4766 or 305-710-7991
« Back to News Releases