March 19, 2012 — Coral Gables — In its continuing effort to foster a family-friendly environment, the University of Miami is pleased to announce the opening of dedicated rooms on all UM campuses to support nursing mothers upon their return to work. Details of the program, which is open to faculty, staff, and students, can be viewed in the Break Time for Nursing Mothers policy.
Nursing-mother rooms are now open at the following locations:
Coral Gables campus
- McKnight Building, 5807 Ponce de Leon Boulevard, Room 204
- Richter Library, 1300 Memorial Drive, first floor, Room 119
- Canterbury Pre-School, 1150 Stanford Drive, front office
Rosenstiel School campus
- Science and Administration Building (SLAB), 4600 Rickenbacker Causeway, suite 110
Miller School of Medicine campus
- Dominion Towers, 1400 N.W. 10th Avenue, Suite 302, Room 301A
- Rosenstiel Medical Science Building, 1600 N.W. 10th Avenue, Room 7166
- University of Miami Hospital, 1400 N.W. 12th Avenue, seventh floor, Room 780
Additional locations will be announced in early April.
Faculty, staff, and students who need a private place to express milk may reserve space on a first-come, first-served basis and should complete a Nursing Mother Accommodation Request Form. Once completed, Equality Administration will coordinate with the nursing mother to identify the space closest to her work site. A master calendar is available to schedule employees who have desired times to use a nursing room. Nursing mothers are, however, encouraged to use their personal office space or space identified by their departments when possible.
« Back to News Releases