The student organization Planet Kreyol hosts Haitian Culture Week featuring dance, food, and fun.
Special to UM News
CORAL GABLES, Fla. (March 18, 2015) —
Get ready for a week of celebration and fun as the University of Miami student organization Planet Kreyol hosts Haitian Culture Week with events each day focusing on food, music, and culture.
Events begin Monday from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. with a kick off party at the UC Rock involving food, music, art, and dancing. Other events include:
Tuesday, March 24: A Taste of Haiti/ Haitian American Forum
• 4pm-7pm The UM Dining Hall will serve Haitian dinners during the evening to celebrate HaitianCulture Week. We will be tabling at Stanford Dining Hall- join us for a night of playing games like Haitian Dominoes, come get and learn a few dance moves, and learn more about faboulous Haitian Cuisine.
• 7pm- 8:30pm Join us for a panel discussion on the role that Haitian Americans play in keeping the Haitian culture alive in the United States and how students can play a role in helping Haiti move forward. We will have special guest speakers from the Haitian community come out to network and share their experiences with students.
Wednesday, March 25: Kompa on the Patio
• 5:30pm Come and join us as we give a workshop on how to dance Kompa. We will have 2 world renown Kompa dancers come out to teach students all they need to know about dancing Kompa.
Thursday, March 26: Miss Planet Kreyol Cultural Pageant
• 7pm Join us for our annual cultural pageant to crown the next Miss Planet Kreyol. This is not a beauty pageant, rather a cultural competition. Our lovely contestants will be educating the audience about the hidden treasures of the Haitian culture through oratorical pieces, music, dance, art, etc.
Friday, March 27: Kanaval
• 6pm Join us for an on campus Carnival on the SAC Patio. This will be an evening of live performances from local Haitian musicians and DJ's.
Saturday, March 28: Day of Service
• To end Haitian Culture Week, we will provide students with the opportunity to give back to theHaitian community in Miami. This will be our service day in Little Haiti.
« Back to News Releases