Friends of Art give $700,000 to support The Lowe.
(November 08, 2011) —
The University of Miami announced today that it is the recipient of Friends of Art’s generous gift of $700,000 to support the Lowe Art Museum. This gift is critical to the success of the Lowe and demonstrates Friends of Art’s strong commitment to the University’s mission.
The Friends of Art (FOA) was established in 1965 as a civic support group for the Lowe to "bring together in friendship people dedicated to fostering interest and appreciation of the Lowe’s collections, art programs and outreach to benefit the University of Miami." It is the goal of Friends to maintain and build on the Lowe’s excellent achievements in exhibitions, art acquisitions, and cultural and educational services for the Greater Miami community.
“With this contribution, Friends of Art enables the Lowe to stay at the forefront of a growing trend of the art world – providing advanced art education and appreciation throughout the local community and the US,” said Lowe Director and Chief Curator Brian Dursum.
“The Lowe Art Museum is a pillar of the art scene in Miami, partly because of its history as the first collecting art museum in South Florida,” said FOA President Ellery Brown. “It is unsurpassed in its contribution to the community at large, and Friends of Art wants that to continue. The Lowe is among the most robust university-based art museums in the nation in terms of the breadth of its collection, educational platforms and cultural outreach.”
From its origins in three classrooms in 1950, the history of the Lowe Art Museum reflects an unswerving commitment to its mission to serve the University of Miami as a teaching resource and to the residents of and visitors to Greater Miami as its major general art museum. Five thousand years of artistic achievement are represented in its collection.
UM alumni Myrna and Sheldon Palley, long-time members of the Friends of Art, helped underwrite the construction of the Myrna and Sheldon Palley Pavilion for Contemporary Glass and Fine Studio Arts. The opening of the Palley Pavilion in 2008 marked the beginning of a new and exciting chapter in the history of the Lowe Art Museum. Audiences can view the celebrated permanent collection in a space that complements its beauty and vitality; and accommodates the annual exhibition of new works. New spaces and significant collections like these can only help to expand the scope and appeal of the Lowe Art Museum, enriching the UM campus and the broader community.
Over the years, Friends of Art has purchased several works of art for the Lowe's permanent collection and contributed funds toward others. Individual members of Friends have also contributed many works of art for the collection, as well as individual monetary support.
The Lowe's success is confirmed by an extraordinary and ongoing outpouring of support for the museum and its collections. With the gift in 1950 by philanthropists Joe and Emily Lowe, a free-standing museum facility opened to the public in 1952, the first collecting art museum in South Florida. Its 17,500–object collection is one of the most important in the Southeast, with strengths in Renaissance and Baroque, American, Ancient and Native American, and Asian art.
Karla V. Hernandez
« Back to News Releases