Make a smooth connection to CaneNet and WirelessCanes by following these easy steps BEFORE you get to campus:
1. Your computer should meet minimum standards concerning operating system, memory, disk drive capacity, etc. to facilitate technical support from UM’s Student Computing Support staff.
2. You must install all security updates for your operating system.
3. You computer must have current virus protection. You can use any antivirus with a one-year subscription to update virus signatures. Free SAV (Symantec Antivirus) and MSAV (Managed Symantec Antivirus) are provided for users of CaneNet & Wireless Canes on Windows systems—Downloads and instructions are obtainable from the IT Software Distribution page.
4. Your computer should have added protection against spyware and adware. Free downloads and instructions for CA PestPatrol are obtainable form the IT Software Distribution page.
5. Be sure all accounts on your computer have strong passwords.
6. Download and install any other software you would like to use from the IT Software Distribution page.