Welcome to the AllFaculty Listserv! This is not a moderated list, but I ask that you keep in mind its primary purpose, namely, to provide a forum for the discussion of issues and for the communication of information of general interest and importance to the faculty. Its use therefore is limited to matters relating to the university community and the academy. The list should not be used to promote personal agendas or as an advertising vehicle. Although it is appropriate to bring up issues such as benefits and new programs or to announce upcoming events, it is inappropriate to call attention to the house that you just put on the market.
At the end of this message is important technical information for the use of the list. First, however, here are a few rules of basic etiquette for using this list:
1) Only full-time faculty and a limited number of senior administrators may subscribe to the list, and only those among this group who choose to subscribe to the list (hence the designation “opt-in”) may have access to its postings. You should therefore not forward list postings to anyone.
2) The use of CAPITAL LETTERS is the internet equivalent of SHOUTING. Avoid the use of capitals unless you really mean to SHOUT (which is generally inappropriate in rational discourse anyway).
3) Humor, sarcasm, and irony often don’t translate well to e-mail. Although we may be “conversing” electronically, our gestures and tone of voice cannot be seen and heard. As a result, what we mean jokingly may be taken seriously and may even give offense. So please be careful.
4) Feel free to disagree with your colleagues’ postings, but always do so in a collegial manner. Civility is essential for open dialogue.
5) One- or two-word postings are annoying. If you want simply to say, “I agree/disagree,” it is best to reply directly to the person who submitted the posting and not to the list.
Thank you for subscribing. We look forward to a productive dialogue.Cordially,
To send a message to all the people currently subscribed to the list, just send mail to ALLFACULTY@LISTSERV.MIAMI.EDU or use the "Reply to All" function from your mailing program while you are reading something that has been posted to the list. The "Reply" or "Reply to Sender" function will send a message only to the person who posted the message that you are reading, not to the entire list.
There are some simple instructions (COMMANDS) that you can e-mail to manage your individual subscription. They must be addressed to LISTSERV@LISTSERV.MIAMI.EDU, not sent as a message posted to the list. All commands will be in the form "what-to-do name-of-list any-details." The name of this list is "allfaculty." The subject line on all such commands should be left blank.
For example, you may leave the list at any time by sending the message SIGNOFF ALLFACULTY to LISTSERV@LISTSERV.MIAMI.EDU.
To rejoin, however, you must go through the eligibility validation process again by sending a request from the address registered as yours to FacultyListservAdministrator@miami.edu (note that there are no spaces in the name).
All future notices about this mailing list and any other general university announcements will be sent to your new address.
Ordinarily, you will not receive from the list a copy of any message that you post to the ALLFACULTY list, but you can change that by sending SET ALLFACULTY REPRO to LISTSERV@LISTSERV.MIAMI.EDU.
After a while you may find that this is getting annoying; if so, you can turn this feature off by sending SET ALLFACULTY NOREPRO.
To change your subscription address once you are a subscriber but without changing your registered e-mail address, send CHANGE ALLFACULTY newemailaddress from your current subscription address to LISTSERV@LISTSERV.MIAMI.EDU, replacing "newemailaddress" with the e-mail address you want used. A confirmation message will be sent to the new address asking you to reply to the confirmation message within 24 hours with the word "OK" in the body of the reply message. Once you confirm, you will be subscribed with the new address. All messages posted to the list will be sent to that new address and all postings or commands will be accepted only from that new address.
For more information about subscription options, send QUERY ALLFACULTY to LISTSERV@LISTSERV.MIAMI.EDU. More information on LISTSERV commands can be found in the LISTSERV reference card, which you can retrieve by sending INFO REFCARD to LISTSERV@LISTSERV.MIAMI.EDU.