'Canes in the Community

Shark Encounter

The Center for Latin American Studies (CLAS) brought two groups of Upward Bound students to the University…

More 'Canes in the Community »

Can I take classes at the University?
There are multiple opportunities to attend classes at UM. To see if you qualify as a non degree-seeking student visit the non-degree seeking program webpage.  You can also check out the University’s Continuing and International Education page to learn how you can take steps to enhance your career, your business, and your education. Classes are available year-round.

Does the University have programs for senior citizens?
The Osher Lifelong Learning Institute (OLLI) offers an annual calendar of seminars, programs, classes, and speakers geared toward seniors. Call 305-284-6554 for more information.

How do I apply for admission?
The Office of Admissions can be reached at 305-284-4323 or www.miami.edu/admissions.

Does the university have summer programs for children?
There are many summer camp options held on the UM campus.  Here are some links and phone numbers to help you:
Athletics Summer and Holiday Camps  305-284-3822
Mini Canes Recreational Sports Camp at the Wellness Center - 305-284-8510
The Beaux Arts Summer Camp at the Lowe Art Museum
Summer Theatre Academy  305-284-4474
The Phillip and Patricia Frost School of Music Camps  305-284-2241

Can I use the University’s Wellness Center?
Membership to the Herbert Wellness Center is open to University of Miami students, faculty, staff, retirees, alumni, Citizens Board members, Board of Trustees, their spouses and dependents. For more information on membership requirements, visit www.miami.edu/wellness.

There are numerous wellness and education programs available to the community including cooking classes, meditation workshops and CPR courses.  For more information, call 305-284-8500 or follow the links to see the full listing of Wellness Programs for non-members.   

Is wireless internet access available for campus visitors?
Wireless guest access allows any guest to use the WirelessCanes network from most areas of the Coral Gables campus.  For answers to Frequently Asked Questions about UM’s WirelessCanes guest access, click here.

How do I apply for a job at UM?
All open positions at the University of Miami are posted on our Web site at www.miami.edu/jobs. You must submit your resume and apply directly from this site.

How do I hire a University student?
The Office of Student Employment provides job opportunities to all currently enrolled students. For more information, call 305-284-6641. The Toppel Career Center can assist organizations in their efforts to recruit University of Miami students for internship positions. For more information, visit www.HireACane.com or call 305-284-5451.

How can I find a student volunteer or volunteer myself?
Butler Center for Volunteer Service & Leadership Development at the University of Miami offers a wide range of service opportunities centered around volunteering and advocacy for UM students, staff and local community members ranging from one-day special events, classroom experiences, year-long service organizations, and volunteer opportunities during fall and spring break. Call 305-284-4483 for more information. 

What University events are open to the public?
Visit the ‘Canes Calendar online at www.miami.edu/calendar for listing of campus events or visit www.hurricanesports.com for a complete listing of athletic events.

How do I purchase tickets for University events such as concerts and athletic games?
Tickets for all athletic events are available through the ticket office at the BankUnited Center located at 1245 Dauer Drive or via the Web. Call 305-284-CANES or visit www.hurricanesports.com for ticket information and schedules.

Many concerts held on campus are free of charge but tickets are required. For more information, contact the Frost School of Music at 305-284-2241 or visit www.music.miami.edu.

For Ring Theatre tickets, contact the box office at 305-284-3355 or visit www.miami.edu/ring.

To learn about upcoming events at the BankUnited Center, visit www.bankunitedcenter.com, or call 305-284-8686.

Where do I park for University events?
Patrons of the University of Miami may purchase a day pass to park in the Pavia or Ponce Garages. Metered parking is also available in most areas of the campus. Pay-by-Space parking may also be purchased from any Luke multi-space parking meter located near the Ashe Building or on the first floor of the Pavia Garage. See the Parking Map for exact locations.

Free parking is available after 4 p.m. in any non-residential lot. Residential lots are closed to visitors and enforced 24 hours a day - 7 days a week. For more information on parking availability, visit www.miami.edu/parking or call 305-284-3096.

How can my child meet Sebastian the Ibis?
Sebastian the Ibis attends UM home athletic events (except baseball where the Miami Maniac rules the roost) and can usually be found roaming the crowds encouraging fans to show their ‘Cane spirit.  Sebastian is also available to make special appearances. If you are interested in booking Sebastian for an event please complete the Mascot Request Form and return via fax to 305-284-3382, Attention: Spirit Request. For more information on mascot requests or to follow up on your request, e-mail l.sparby@miami.edu.

How do I schedule an appointment with a UM doctor?
Appointments for the University of Miami Medical Group Physician Referral Office can be made Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Eastern Time at 305-243-4000 or toll-free at 1-800-432-0191. You may also submit the secure Appointment Form found on the Miller School of Medicine web site at www.med.miami.edu/appointment