Community Scholars in Affordable Housing is an innovative new program designed to familiarize emerging leaders and young professionals with best practices in community development and affordable housing policy and practice in the United States.
The program draws on the success of the Leonard Turkel Nonprofit Network workshop series and its “Community of Practice” model as well as the networks and knowledge base of the South Florida Community Development Coalition. It is coordinated by the University of Miami’s Office of Civic and Community Engagement and its Focus on Affordable Housing Initiative. The Community of Practice will be facilitated by Catalyst Miami. Beginning in January 2014 participants will have the opportunity to engage with local and national experts to explore techniques and concepts in the development of affordable housing, including critical issues facing South Florida such as funding, design, special-needs populations, home ownership, advocacy, markets, and engaging stakeholders. Through collaborating with a select cohort of peers, participants will acquire skills and build networks that will lead to enhanced opportunities in the field of affordable housing and community development.
We hope you will join us for this exciting new opportunity!
- The program will include 10 Friday breakfast sessions (8:30 to 11:00 a.m.) held every other week between January and May 2014.
- The program will kickoff at the Leonard Turkel Nonprofit Network’s January 15th, 2014 event.
- Sessions will alternate between speaker seminars and peer learning sessions. Speaker seminars will take place on-site at locations relevant to the seminar topic, and peer learning sessions will be held at Neighborhood Housing Services, 300 NW 12th Ave., Miami. All sessions will be centrally located in Miami-Dade.
- Participants are expected to attend all sessions and complete a final project related to their current employment. A deposit of $100 from either the applicant or the applicant’s place of work is required, $50 of which will be returned upon successful completion of the program.
- Signatures from the applicant’s supervisor and the head of his or her organization are required.
- Space is limited to approximately 12 participants in order to facilitate an interactive learning community.
January 15, 2014 —Kick-off: Leonard Turkel Nonprofit Network event, 8:30-11:30am
All sessions 8:30 - 11:00am
January 17, Session 1—Basics of Development and Affordable Housing
January 31, Session 2—Community of Practice workshop
February 14, Session 3—Non-profits in Development
February 28, Session 4—Community of Practice workshop
March 14, Session 5—For-profits in Development
March 28, Session 6—Community of Practice workshop
April 11, Session 7—Special Needs: Issues Facing our Community
April 25, Session 8—Community of Practice workshop
May 9, Session 9—Funding and Advocacy
May 23, Session 10—Community of Practice wrap-up
For more information or if you have any questions, please contact the Office of Civic and Community Engagement at the University of Miami at (305)284-6626 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Due Date for RECEIPT of application: Monday, December 2, 2013. Click here to download application.
Submit complete application to email@example.com AND DeAziaB@southfloridacdc.org
The Community Scholars in Affordable Housing Program is made possible through the generous support of the Jessie Ball duPont Fund.