As part of the multi-year, multi-phase Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) initiative, UM is upgrading the information technology that drives its student, financial, and human resources systems. The first phase of this important initiative, begun in 2012, focuses on replacing the functionality provided by the aging student information system. Once fully implemented, improvements to current business processes and faculty/advisor tools will include an enhanced registration process, course waiting lists, prerequisite checking, student multi-year academic planning, and increased access to integrated academic information and services.
Students, faculty, and staff can access the new Student Information System (SIS) and more efficiently perform their work in an integrated modern environment. The SIS implementation represents phase 1 of the Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) project. CaneLink, the new SIS portal, will bridge the gap between new and old systems for faculty, students, and staff. Faculty and students will login to CaneLink with their existing CaneIDs and passwords.
Functionality will include the ability of students, faculty, and advisors to:
- Search for classes
- Add classes to a shopping cart
- Sign up to be on a wait list for classes that are filled to capacity
- Select classes for future semesters using Course Planner
- Validate classes in the cart to see if there will be any issues
- Check for conflicts, missing enforced requisites, missing permissions, etc.
- View Course Schedule
- View Class Rosters
- View Advisees
- Release Advising Holds
- View Course History, Registration Shopping Carts, and other Advisee academic data
- Run Degree Progress Reports and What-If Scenarios for Advisees
The ERP project is one of the most far-reaching projects in UM’s history. It will significantly transform the way we conduct business and provide services to our students, faculty, and staff.
For additional information on the project, including background information, timelines, training information, a glossary of terms, and more, please visit: http://www.miami.edu/erp.