Making Changes To Your UM Benefits

You can only make changes to your medical, dental, and flexible spending account during annual Open Enrollment or if you experience a qualifying status change.

There are a number of qualifying status change events that allow you to change your benefits coverage. The qualifying event must be consistent with the change being requested. Qualifying Status Change (QSC) Events include, but are not limited to:
• Marriage or divorce
• Birth or adoption of a child
• Death of a covered dependent
• Change in insurance eligibility for a dependent
• Change in health insurance eligibility due to a relocation of residence or work place
• Change in employment status of employee, spouse, or dependent that affects health insurance coverage. (Employment status changes include termination of a spouse or dependent’s employment, unpaid leave of absence of more than 31 calendar days and change from part-time to full-time or vice-versa.)

If you have a change in status, you must report the event within 30 days of the event.  Please note that you may need to provide documentation, such as a marriage or death certificate. In addition, a QSC Form is required to be completed in addition to any necessary enrollment forms.

Changes To Other UM Benefits

Other benefits such as the Voluntary 403(b) Retirement Savings Plan, Voluntary Excess Life Insurance, Voluntary Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance, and Long Term Care Insurance are not part of the Open Enrollment process. You may change or enroll in these plans at any time.

Visit the Financial Security page to learn more about these benefits and download the appropriate enrollment form(s).

Change or Cancel
Change or cancel your “other UM benefits” by completing and submitting the Voluntary Benefits Cancellation Form.

You may also review and make changes to your beneficiary designations for these plans at any time. To review and update beneficiary designations for UM benefit plans, log on to and click “benefits.”  To review 403(b) plan beneficiary designations, log on to

Enrolling in UM Benefits

Before employees can enroll in UM benefits, they must attend New Employee Orientation. During this session, employees have the opportunity to meet with a Benefits Representative and hear about all of the benefits the University of Miami offers to its employees. Attendees will also be able to ask any questions they may have at this time.

At New Employee Orientation, employees are provided with benefits enrollment forms. These forms must be completed and submitted within 30 days of an employee’s start date. The forms may also be downloaded from at

Completed forms should be sent to HR-Benefits.

Via fax:

Via email:
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Via interoffice mail:
HR-Benefits Administration
100 Gables One Tower
Locator Code 2902

Open Enrollment Period

Annual Open Enrollment is the only time faculty and staff can make changes to medical, dental, flexible spending and short-term disability benefits.  Open Enrollment occurs every fall in October.  During this time, all faculty and staff go online to myUM to make benefits changes. The effective date for Open Enrollment benefit changes is January 1 of the following year.

For more information, please contact HR-Benefits Administration at 305-284-3004.

To contact a benefits expert, please click here. You will receive a response within two business days.

Non Compliance

Falsifying information/documentation in order to obtain/continue insurance coverage is considered a dishonest act and could lead to discipline and criminal prosecution. Inadvertent or negligent failures to update or correct information related to eligibility of an employee’s listed dependent is also subject to penalty. Employees are responsible for updating dependent information within 30 calendar days of the occurrence of any event affecting eligibility; for example, a divorce severing a marriage or if a dependent marries. The University may impose a financial penalty, including, but not limited to, repayment of all insurance premiums the university made on behalf of the ineligible dependent and/or any claims paid by the insurance companies. Disciplinary action up to and including dismissal may also be imposed if deemed appropriate.