The University of Miami maintains a Veterans Affairs (V.A.) Office in the Office of the Registrar, 121 University Center, to assist veterans and dependents of veterans who are entitled to V.A. educational benefits under Chapter 30, 31, 32, 33, or Chapter 35 of Title 38, U.S. Code, and Chapter 1606 or Chapter 1607, Title 10, USC. Anyone needing information on Veterans Benefits is advised to contact the Office of the Registrar or visit the Registrar’s website at and select “Veteran Information”.

V.A. students with previous postsecondary educational training/experience must request official transcript(s) be sent to the school. If the transcript has not been received prior to the end of the student’s initial semester, or as specified in the guidelines under the program he/she is enrolled in, the Veteran Affairs Office will not re-certify the student for V.A. educational benefits. The Veteran Affairs Office may re-certify the student after the transcript has been received.

The V.A. student’s previous training and/or experience will be evaluated by the school. Should credit(s) be accepted and/or granted, the V.A. student’s tuition and training time will be reduced proportionally. The V.A. and the student will receive a written notice of the credit(s) allowed.

Back to top


Satisfactory progress is indicated by a Satisfactory Progress Average (SPA), which is a variation of the Quality Point Average (QPA). The SPA is computed by the following formula: A=4

Note that “E’s”, “F’s”, “IE’s” and “IF’s” are included in the SPA.
A grade of CR will be counted as CR=2.
The SPA is determined by dividing the total quality points earned by the credits attempted.

When a course is dropped with a grade of W, the V.A. requires a student to repay any benefits received for that course unless the V.A. determines there are mitigating circumstances involved.

Benefits will not be paid for courses in which a student receives an NG or NC.

  • An SPA of 2.0 or greater for undergraduate students, or 3.0 or greater for graduate students, is satisfactory progress.
  • Less than 2.0 for undergraduate, and less than 3.0 for graduate students, is not satisfactory.
  • Law and M.D. students will be considered to be making satisfactory progress as long as they meet the academic standards set by their schools for retention in their degree programs.
  • The SPA is non-cumulative. It is computed each term on a one-term basis.
  • Any term a student’s SPA is less than 2.0 for undergraduate or 3.0 for graduate, he/she will be notified that he/she is not making satisfactory progress. He/she will be certified, in a probationary status, for only one additional semester.
  • If, at the end of this additional semester, his/her SPA for that semester is still below the satisfactory level, the V.A. will be notified of the unsatisfactory progress and his/her educational benefits will be terminated.
  • A student whose V.A. educational benefits have been terminated for unsatisfactory progress may petition the Veteran Affairs Office, 121 University Center, to be re-certified after one semester has elapsed.
  • The Veteran Affairs Office may re-certify the student for V.A. educational benefits only if there is a reasonable likelihood that the student will be able to attain and maintain satisfactory progress for the remainder of the program.

Back to top

  • An “I” (Incomplete) designation for a course must be converted to a credit grade counting toward graduation, or a failing grade, by the end of one calendar year unless permission for a delay is granted by the Academic Dean.
  • An “NG” (no grade) designation for a course must be converted to a credit grade counting toward graduation, or a failing grade, by the end of one regular semester unless permission for a delay is granted by the Academic Dean.
  • If permission is obtained, a memo signed by the Academic Dean must be given to the Veteran Affairs Office during the semester in which the “I” or “NG” was to be removed. This memo should also state period of time for which delay is approved.
  • f a memo giving permission for a delay in the “I” or “NG” removal is not received by the end of the semester in which the “I” or “NG” was to be removed, the V.A. will be notified of the incomplete grade resulting in loss of educational benefits for that course.

Please consult with our office regarding regulations for “IP’s” received in Thesis, Research, or Dissertation.

There is an official period after each registration in which a student may drop a course without a “W” appearing on his/her grade report. This period is not to be confused with the last date to drop a course with a “W” grade. Please check the academic calendar on the Registrar’s website for dates:

Back to top

  • Regular and punctual class attendance is vital for all students.
  • It is the student’s responsibility to know the instructor’s policies regarding examinations, penalties for absences, and late or missed work.
  • A copy of the student’s transcript will be placed in the student’s permanent file maintained by the Veteran Affairs Office.
    • Because of the far-reaching effects of these revisions in the V.A. educational benefits program, it is suggested that you exercise care and judgment in your program planning and in the selection of your courses. V.A. educational benefits will only pay for courses that are toward the program in which you are enrolled. Veterans and children of deceased or totally disabled veterans receive training allowance in proportion to the schedule carried. The full load required to receive full training allowance is 12 in undergraduate school (nine in Graduate School). Back to top