No diplomas or official transcripts are released from the Office of the Registrar without the approval of the Office of Student Account Services.

Official transcripts are issued only upon receipt of a secure electronic request through a student’s myUM account or a written request from the student and upon payment of the appropriate transcript fee.
Unofficial transcripts are available free of charge on myUM or for a fee if ordered in the Office of the Registrar, 121 UC. Those ordered in the Office of the Registrar will be available for pick-up within one week after the request is submitted.

Back to top


It is the responsibility of the student to be sure he/she makes satisfactory progress toward, and fulfills requirements for, the degree he/she seeks. He/she may obtain help in the office of his/her Academic Dean.

To receive a Bachelor’s degree from the University, the student must earn at least 120 semester hours of credit (more in some schools), with a C average (2.0) or better as well as a C average for all work done at the University of Miami.

Students must also meet all of the degree requirements of their respective schools and should not expect requirements in composition, mathematics, foreign languages, or other subject areas to be waived for any reason.

  • Each student must complete the final 45 credits that are applied to his or her baccalaureate degree in residence at the University of Miami.
  • In addition, each student must complete at least half of the credits specified for his or her major in residence at the University of Miami.
  • Not more than 30 hours of correspondence work and extension work combined will be accepted toward a degree, and neither correspondence nor extension work may be credited as a part of the last 45 hours of the student’s program.
  • Not more than 30 hours of credit based on military experience will be awarded toward the degree.
  • Credits earned in a manner other than by course registration, i.e. proficiency examination, CLEP, placement tests, etc., may not be used to meet the final 45 credit hour residency requirement, however such credit by examination may be earned while the student is enrolled in the courses needed to meet the final 45 credit-hour residency requirement.

Dual Degree

  • To obtain two different undergraduate degrees, a student must complete all the requirements for each degree.
  • A second undergraduate degree on the same level requires a different major and a different minor.
  • If the degrees are in two different schools, a student must meet the requirements with distinctly different majors and minors, wherever applicable, in each school.
  • Students must obtain approval from the Office of the Senior Vice Provost and Dean of Undergraduate Education to pursue dual degrees in different schools. 

As a general rule, college credits more than 12 years old are not recognized for degree purposes. Students in this category should consult their academic deans.
A student must apply for graduation on myUM during the semester in which they expect to graduate.

A diploma must be issued in the name on the student’s academic record. Addition or omission of a middle name is acceptable. The addition of a middle name will be acceptable only as it appears on the student’s application for admission. If the middle name is not on the application or if the student wants another version, documented proof of a legal name change must be presented to the Office of the Registrar located in the University Center, Room 121.

The last date on which application may be made for each graduation period is published in the Academic Calendar. The academic deans are the only officers authorized to approve placing the student’s name on the candidate degree list.

Back to top


University Honors (summa cum laude, magna cum laude and cum laude) will be determined by a minimum GPA unique to the school or college from which the student is graduating.     
The GPA required will change each academic year and will be based on the cumulative GPA of the previous year’s graduating class.
Visit the Honors Program and Office of Academic Enhancement website at for specific GPA requirements each academic year to determine eligibility for graduation with University Honors. 
The top 5% of the graduating class will receive summa cum laude within each individual school or college; the next 10% will receive magna cum laude, and the next 10% cum laude.
Eligibility for University honors for each student is determined by the lower of two GPAs:

  • UM cumulative graduation GPA
  • Combination GPA (UM cumulative graduation GPA + Transfer GPA)

A student must meet the required GPA by the completion of the final semester within his/her school or college to be eligible to graduate with the honor.

Back to top