Ombudsperson and University Troubleshooters Program

The Ombudsperson acts as an independent representative of the University to listen to student grievances and complaints. The Ombudsperson listens to the concern, investigates the facts and attempts to resolve situations in the best possible way. The Ombudsperson neither makes University policy nor overrides it. However, because of extensive knowledge of the University, the Ombudsperson is in a position to interpret University policy to students and make recommendations to the central administration when policy changes are needed. The Ombudsperson expedites the decision-making process within the University and ensures that the University follows its own published policies and procedures.

The Ombudsperson and University Troubleshooters Program was not established to bypass or circumvent those individuals who have responsibility for departments or classroom instruction. Nor is the Program designed to eliminate certain structured grievance and appellate mechanisms already established by the University.  Each academic department and each administrative unit has established a contact person, known as a University Troubleshooter, to assist students with academic and administrative related matters.  These University Troubleshooters are faculty members and administrators who serve as a resource for students seeking assistance. 

When regular channels have not brought resolution to your problem and after you have spoken to the appropriate University Troubleshooter, you should contact the Office of the Ombudsperson. The Ombudsperson seeks to resolve matters informally before they become matters in a formal grievance-appeal proceeding and assists students in reestablishing communication with the person or persons with whom a complaint may have been filed.

To access the University of Miami Ombudsperson and University Troubleshooters program, contact the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs, Ashe Administration Building Room 244, or 305-284-4922. For more information, visit Concerns may be submitted through an online form located on that website.