August 20, 2011 (9:00 AM - 12:00 PM)
Foster Practice Building TBD
- This placement test is for incoming students with the Keyboard Studies (group piano) requirement in EMC. If you have NO prior experience at the keyboard, you will be automatically placed in the 1st level course.
- The test will take approximately 5 to 15 minutes for each student.
- A sign-up sheet will be available on the door of Foster Practice Building 147 prior to Orientation. No need to sign up if you expect to be in the 1st level course.
- If you choose to take the Placement Test, please use the following as a guide to estimate your level.
- Level 2: : Able to play major scales steadily (hands together, parallel motion, one octave), major arpeggios (hands separate, 2 octaves), basic chord progressions, harmonization with I, IV, and V7 chords, dominant seventh chords with inversions, some sight-reading abilities, beginning improvisation.
- Level 3: : Able to play major and harmonic minor scales (hands together, parallel and contrary motion, one octave minimum), major and minor arpeggios (hands separate, 2 octaves), five types of seventh chords and inversions, some improvisation, harmonize a given melody with I, V7, vi, and ii chords.
- Level 4: : Able to play major and minor scales and arpeggios (hands together, parallel motion, 2 octaves, all keys), contrary motion scales and arpeggios in most major keys and in A, E and B harmonic minor, advanced chord progressions, harmonization incorporating secondary dominant chords.
- The schedule is approximate, so please be ready to stay up to 30 min beyond your scheduled time in case of delays.
- If you do not sign up, you will still be tested, but priority is given to those who signed up for a time. If you do not come to be tested, you will be automatically placed in the 1st-level course, MKP 140.
Updates on requirements by degree will be available here prior to Orientation. Please refer to the Academic Bulletin for more information.