Domestic and International Freshmen / Transfer Students
All applicants to the Frost School of Music must apply as Regular Decision and audition based on the timeline below:
Application Priority Deadlines: October 15 for December auditions December 1 for January/February auditions
*Includes pre-screening for all jazz, contemporary, flute and violin applicants
Step 1 - Apply
• Apply to UM online through commonapp.org
• Apply to the FSOM online through the arts supplement (SlideRoom) of the CommonApp. The supplemental form is available to you on the Art Supplement tab of your common app. Respond ‘yes’ to the question about being a Frost applicant in order to view the Art Supplement tab.
• Upload your *pre-screening (if required) on SlideRoom at the time of application
Step 2 – Audition
Confirmation emails & invitations to audition will be sent in advance. Please do not make travel arrangements until you receive your confirmation
• Audition on-campus in December/January/February
• Regional/Recorded/Skype auditions may be an option depending on instrument/genre and availability. Please check the website for more details
Step 3 – Submit Supplemental Materials
Portfolio Deadline: February 1
• Composition, Commercial Music & Production and Music Engineering Technology applicants
• Upload online through SlideRoom (portfolio link will be sent via email after your application has been processed. Please do not upload files until you receive the link.)
*Applicants wishing to audition for jazz or contemporary instrument/voice, flute or violin must pass a pre-screening (online) and be invited to audition. Click here for Pre-screening/music audition requirements.
Entrance for freshmen and transfer students is for the fall semester only. The Frost School of Music is not on rolling admission and does not participate in the University’s Early Decision/Early Action.
All students must be recommended for admission to the Frost School of Music by the Faculty Audition Committee. Final acceptance to the University of Miami is made by the University of Miami Office of Admission after all materials requested by that office and the Frost School of Music have been received and evaluated. Financial aid and/or music scholarships are awarded after the student receives final acceptance from the University's Office of Admission.
Admission as a transfer student requires a 3.0 grade point average from one’s previous school.
Generally, credit will be granted toward graduation for academic classes in which a student received a grade of C or better at an accredited institution. After a student has passed the audition and has been accepted to the University, the University Office of Admission evaluates the transcript and determines the University of Miami equivalents. During orientation, transfer students meet with the Assistant Dean of the Frost School of Music, who determines which transferred courses will be counted toward the desired major.
A music theory placement exam determines the appropriate level of theory. The Assistant Dean validates prior music credits. It is helpful to bring a syllabus for each music class taken at another school. Based on the jury exam at the end of the first semester, the faculty determine the level of study on the instrument or voice.