Domestic and International Freshmen / Transfer Students Priority deadline – December 1st
• Apply Regular Decision only
• Audition required for all applicants
• A prescreening is required for all contemporary, jazz, flute and violin applicants
• Admission is for the fall term only
• Transfer applicants must have a 3.0GPA or higher for consideration
• Admission and aid decisions are released in mid-March
Step 1 - Apply
• Apply to UM online through the CommonApp
• Apply to the FSOM online through the arts supplement (SlideRoom)
• Upload your *pre-screening (if required) and recorded auditions on SlideRoom at the time of application
Step 2 – Audition
Confirmation emails & invitations to audition will be sent in advance. Do not make travel arrangements until you receive your confirmation
• Audition on-campus in January/February
• Regional/Recorded/Skype auditions may be an option depending on instrument/genre and availability. Please check the Audition Information page for more details
Step 3 – Portfolio
This is not the same thing as a prescreening required of jazz, contemporary, flute or violin applications. Please check the Audition Information page for portfolio requirements.
• Portfolio Deadline: February 1st
Composition, Commercial Music & Production and Music Engineering Technology applicants
• A portfolio link will be sent after auditions are scheduled
*Applicants wishing to audition for jazz or contemporary instrument/voice, flute or violin must pass a pre-screening (online) and be invited to audition. Click here for Pre-screening/music audition
*Please plan to have all your materials, including prescreening media/recorded auditions, ready to submit online before you click the 'submit' button.
Undergraduate Admission Timeline- Freshmen and Transfers:
Admissions decisions and scholarship awards are made in mid-March. Commitment Deadline: May 1
• Commitment date as set by the National Association for College Admission Counseling
• Admitted students verify their intention to enroll by paying their enrollment deposit online
All students must be recommended for admission to the Frost School of Music by the Faculty Audition Committee. Final acceptance to the University of Miami is made by the University of Miami Office of Admission after all materials requested by that office and the Frost School of Music have been received and evaluated. Financial aid and/or music scholarships are awarded after the student receives final acceptance from the University's Office of Admission.
For program/curriculum information please visit the University of Miami Bulletin
Frost Admissions: Andy from Frost School of Music on Vimeo.
Transfer Admission/CreditsPriority Deadline - December 1st
Transfer applicants follow the same timeline as freshmen outlined above. Admission as a transfer student requires a 3.0 grade point average from one’s previous school.
Generally, credit will be granted toward graduation for academic classes in which a student received a grade of C or better at an accredited institution. After a student has passed the audition and has been accepted to the University, the University Office of Admission evaluates the transcript and determines the University of Miami equivalents. During orientation, transfer students meet with an academic advisor to discuss which transferred courses will be counted toward the desired major. A music theory placement exam determines the appropriate level of theory. Based on the jury exam at the end of the first semester, the faculty determine the level of study on the instrument or voice.
Please note the admission decision is a joint decision made between the University Office of Undergraduate Admission and the Frost School of Music. Applicants must complete an audition while demonstrating that they are academically admissible candidates. Applicants must submit the UM application, the FSOM supplemental application and all required documents for the Office of Undergraduate Admission by their respective deadlines. If an applicant fails to submit all required documents, the application will be withdrawn from consideration from both the Frost School of Music and the University of Miami. Please check your CaneLink account regularly to track your application status and document status.