Post Storm Procedures
Immediately after the storm, every effort should be made to reach the University for the purpose of assessing the extent of damage (if any) to your immediate work location. If it is determined that storm damage exists, the department must notify Risk Management at 284-3163 immediately.
The following represents the basic information needed to establish a claim for damaged or destroyed equipment:
Separate damaged equipment from undamaged equipment.
If water damage to electrical equipment is suspected do not attempt to start. Tag this equipment indicating possible water damage and contact Risk Management to setup an inspection of all water damaged equipment.
Secure all equipment against further damage or theft.
Document all expenses.
Complete the attached “Claims Worksheet” making certain that the following information is included (see Annex A, page 13)
1. Department account number
2. Department name, address, building, room number, locator code and campus
3. Department phone number
1. Description of damaged equipmentCall Risk Management to set up an inspection of all damaged equipment giving the name and phone number of the contact person and the location where the damaged equipment may be seen. DO NOT DISCARD ANY DAMAGED OR DESTROYED ITEMS.
Do not replace damaged equipment until approval has been given by the University’s insurance carrier and Risk Management.
Due to limitations established by the University s property carriers, all information pertaining to a claim for loss must be submitted to them immediately following a loss. Failure to provide information in a timely manner could result in individual claims being denied.
2. University decal number and equipment serial number
3. Original cost of item (supply a copy of the purchase order and invoice if possible)