September 15, 2008

Dear Colleagues:

Today marks the University’s official kickoff of the 2008 United Way campaign. Last year we reached an unprecedented goal—one I hope we surpass this year.

Last year the University raised an incredible $1.12 million, reinforcing our commitment to our local community. I am looking forward to helping us achieve even more ambitious results with this year’s campaign by raising $1.2 million. Your help is critical to our success.

With more than 12,000 employees, UM is one of the largest employers in South Florida. The University’s overall goal for the 2008 United Way campaign, in addition to exceeding last year’s total, is greater employee participation. Only 27 percent of the University contributed to the campaign. I know we can do better this year.

Please give generously through our online donation system. Sign in to myUM.miami.edu, go to “Employee,” click on “Payroll, HR & Miscellaneous,” then “United Way Contribution.” If you’re donating by payroll deduction, be sure to indicate the amount you wish to donate per pay period. The system will calculate the annual total automatically.

You can give through payroll deduction throughout the year or just one time. If you usually have given by check, a one-time payroll deduction is even easier. Our system securely processes online checks and credit cards as well. The process takes only a few minutes and is easy to use. Your donation can also be designated online to your favorite nonprofit agency by entering the agency name on the designation line or to a UM program by selecting from a drop-down menu.

Donations to UM also count toward UM’s fundraising campaign. Please note that in order to comply with IRS guidelines, you may not designate your gift to a program or account where you are a primary investigator or in a way in which a benefit is received—such as tickets from the Hurricane Club.

Thank you for being a TEAM UM member and giving your charitable donation through United Way of Miami-Dade.

Sincerely,

Joe Natoli, Chair, University of Miami United Way Campaign
Senior Vice President for Business and Finance
and Chief Financial Officer

If you have problems reading this, visit:
http://www.miami.edu/communications/messages/2008-2009/09-15-08.html