January 13, 2009

Dear University Community:

Thanks to your generosity, the University of Miami reached its United Way campaign goal—a record breaking $1.2 million.

This year’s campaign is a testament to the generous spirit of our University family. Everyone here is feeling the impact of the depressed economy. But our faculty, staff, and students recognized that in some cases, the needs of our neighbors are even greater than our own, and that was reflected in our contributions.

My thanks to our United Way ambassadors and many others who helped with the campaign. In particular, I want to thank Dr. Bart Chernow, who led our efforts at the Miller School of Medicine. Dr. Chernow and his team worked tirelessly to ensure that the Miller School had a successful campaign. Our student campaign, led by Debbie Perez, also exceeded its goal, raising more than $15,000 through T-shirt sales and other fundraising efforts.

Lastly, I want to thank Sarah Artecona and Pat Grewe, who so ably assisted in the overall administration of the campaign. Pat will be retiring at the end of the school year after more than 20 years at the University. On behalf of everyone in South Florida who has benefited from Pat’s efforts—thanks, Pat, and best of luck.

Thank you again for your generosity.

Joe Natoli, Chair, University of Miami United Way Campaign
Senior Vice President for Business and Finance
and Chief Financial Officer

If you have problems reading this, visit:
http://www.miami.edu/communications/messages/2008-2009/01-13-09.html