All those wishing to take courses for graduate credit, whether or not they wish to become candidates for a degree, must apply for admission. The applicant’s file includes:
- Application and fee of $65.00 payable by credit card to be submitted electronically.
- Educational Documents:
- Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended (undergraduate and graduate level work). You must request the registrar of each institution attended to send official transcripts directly to the College of Engineering Office of Admission (note: mailing address at bottom of this webpage). The University of Miami reserves the right to contact the issuing institution or government agency to verify the authenticity of documents.
Applicants from the following countries must send the official transcripts and diplomas as follow:
- China: Official transcripts and diplomas (in English and Chinese) must be sent directly to the College of Engineering Office of Admission (note: mailing address at bottom of this webpage) by China Academic Degrees and Graduate Education Development Center (CDGDC).
- India: Applicant must send all individual mark-sheets indicating all subjects taken and marks obtained for all years of post-secondary study. Consolidated mark sheets will NOT be accepted:
- All mark sheets must be issued by the university responsible for conducting the examinations and sent directly to your Graduate Program by the university.
- Photocopies of original mark sheets and diplomas/degrees must be attested by the Controller of Examinations or Registrar’s Office of the university responsible for conducting the examinations.
If the institution you attended (e.g. Indian Institute of Technology) can only provide a transcript, you must request the registrar to send the official transcripts directly to the College of Engineering Office of Admission (note: mailing address at bottom of this webpage).
- Copies of all diplomas and/or certificates earned.
- English Translations: All transcripts and diplomas in a language other than English must be accompanied by certified English translations. Notarized translations alone will not be accepted. Certified English translations supplement, but do not replace original documents. Please remember to send both.
Admission decisions are not valid or an I-20 issued until official transcripts from all colleges/universities attended have been received.
- GRE Exam:
All applicants must submit official (within five years of exam date) Graduate Record Examination(GRE) scores, which include the aptitude portion, as well as the most relevant advanced test in the major field if required by the department. Be sure to use the GRE code of 5815, so that your official scores are sent directly to us.
Applicants for the MS in Management of Technology program may submit official Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) scores instead of GRE scores (within five years of exam date). Use the GMAT code of 7NV-S1-08, so that your official scores are sent directly to us.
- English Proficiency:
Applicants whose native language is not English must submit official results of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). The scores are valid for two years from the time you took the exam. The following are our TOEFL/IELTS minimum scores:
TOEFL ibt - 80
TOEFL PBT - 550
IELTS – 6.5
TOEFL code: 5815/ IELTS code:4862
Applicants holding an undergraduate or graduate degree from an academic institution within the United States or one of the following English-speaking countries are not required to take the TOEFL/IELTS examination:
Antigua and Barbuda
Canada (except Quebec)
St. Kitts and Nevis
St. Vincent and the Grenadines
Trinidad and Tobago
- Letters of Recommendation:
Three letters of recommendation sent electronically directly to us from the recommender as directed on the application for admission.
- Additional Requirements for International Students
Requirements for the I-20 and DS-2019 Certificate of Eligibility:
- Financial Guarantee:
An official bank* or government sponsorship letter (issued within six months of starting date at UM), addressed to the University of Miami, guaranteeing the availability of sufficient funds to cover tuition** and fees, books, room and board, medical insurance, and personal expenses is required.
*If the bank account belongs to a relative or other sponsor, a letter of sponsorship addressed to the University of Miami is also required and must contain the following information:
- amount of the financial support promised for the first year of enrollment
- date written
- name and address of the sponsor(s)
- relationship of the sponsor(s) to the student
- sponsor’s signature
**Please note that tuition varies depending on the number of credits required by the program. For specific amount, consult with your graduate department.
- Copy of Passport:
As soon as you submit your application you should email a copy of the biographical page of your passport to email@example.com. The biographical page displays your picture, name and date of birth.
University of Miami
College of Engineering
Office of Admission
1251 Memorial Drive, Room 244
Coral Gables, Florida 33146-0620