The University of Miami is dedicated to providing a safe environment for our students, faculty and staff. The UM Police Department (UMPD) plays an integral part in our community and strives to create an environment of unparalleled safety and customer service. All UMPD officers are State of Florida Certified, sworn and empowered through the City of Coral Gables.
The UM Police Department offers a range of programs that assist in maintaining a safe campus environment including:
• Blue Light Telephones: There are more than 100 “blue light” emergency call boxes on our Coral Gables campus that provide a direct connection to the UM Police.
• Bicycle Lock & Registration Program: Free U-bicycle Locks and Registrations are provided to all bicycle owners by UMPD.
• Motorist Assistance Program: Designed to assist those who experience minor vehicle problems while on the Coral Gables campus.
• Safety Escort Service: UM Police personnel will escort any community member from any location on campus.
• Safety Publications & Brochures: The UMPD has made available on their website numerous publications and brochures that help our students learn how to stay safe.
Should an emergency occur, UM is prepared to quickly alert the campus community with The University of Miami Emergency Notification Network (ENN). University officials will warn the community using one or more of the following methods:
• Text Messages to Cell Phones
• Voice Messages to Cell Phones
• University of Miami Website Banners
• Emergency Preparedness Webpage
• Outdoor Warning Sirens (Coral Gables Campus Only)
• Public Address and Loudspeaker Messages (Coral Gables Campus Residential Colleges Only)
• Hurricane Hotline
To learn more about safety at UM, visit our Campus Safety website.