Whether you need help with some homework or are looking for a job opportunity, there are many services available to assist and support you here at the University of Miami. See below for a sampling of the many resources that you can access as a UM student.
- Academic Resource Center (ARC)
- The ARC is a wonderful resource for students, parents, faculty, staff and administrators. It provides the following resources to help manage success and advance potential: Tutoring, Disability Services, a Learning Specialist, UMX (a course for new incoming students), Academic Workshops, Faculty Support, Resources for Parents and the Independent Learning Initiative. Peer tutoring is offered in a wide selection of courses. Tutoring sessions are available individually or in groups during final review sessions. You can also sign up for a variety of workshops, including time management, effective note-taking and surviving finals.
- Academic and Career Advisors in Residence (ACARs)
- Advisors from The Academic and Career Advisors in Residence (ACARs) provide students with services designed to triage academic/curricular concerns through academic orientation, assistance with major and career selection, and referrals to the appropriate academic support services.
- The Writing Center
- The Writing Center is a “teaching environment”; it teaches the student how to proofread and edit his/her own paper. Professional and friendly staff will work with students on an individual basis to help strengthen their skills at all stages of the writing process.
- Toppel Career Center
- The Toppel Career Center provides services for students regarding graduate school, career development, career assessment, workshops on interviewing and writing a resume, and much more. The Center maintains current career information and is open to all degree-seeking UM students as well as UM alumni within one year of graduation.
- The Launch Pad
- As part of the Toppel Career Center, The Launch Pad offers career guidance, resources and advice to entrepreneurs, innovators and inventors at the University of Miami. The basic goal of The Launch Pad is to show UM students and alumni that starting a new venture is a solid career path coupled with initiating the venture in the South Florida area in order to contribute to the economic and social growth of our region.
- Hire A ‘Cane
- Hire A ‘Cane is our online career management system, offered through the Toppel Career Center. This system has been proven invaluable and helps students focus on their future career. It contains tons of resources, which allows students to post resumes and search for jobs and internships.
- Blackboard is an online course resource center for students to access materials from their classes posted by their professors.
- Computer Labs
- UM’s Coral Gables campus offers student computer labs in the Richter Library and in each of the Residential Colleges. All labs are equipped with Dell computers and there are user assistants in each lab to help you.