Types of Financial Aid for Graduate The University of Miami is dedicated to helping its students with demonstrated financial need to afford their college education by offering several forms of financial assistance. After careful review, each aid application will receive an award package tailored to the student’s financial need, which may include one or more of the following types of aid:

Gift Aid
Academic and need-based aid that does not have to be repaid. Click on one of the links below for more information on a specific type of gift aid program:

- Graduate and Professional Scholarships
Graduate assistantships, fellowships, and grants are coordinated through the specific school in which the student is enrolled. In addition, students may also search the Graduate Scholarship Database.
  • The Graduate School
  • The School of Law
  • The School of Medicine

    Educational Loans
    Loans are funds borrowed by the student and/or parent. In most cases, loans must be repaid with an interest charge and have a time limit for repayment.
  • Types of Loans
  • Applying for Loans
  • Loan Calculator

    Work Programs
    Work programs allow students to meet part of their educational expenses through part-time employment. The Federal Work Study Program (FWS) awards a specific amount for each academic year. Students apply for FWS through the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by indicating “yes” on the “interested in student employment” question. Students must reapply annually for FWS.

    Visit the Office of Student Employment website for information on other types of work programs such as the Miami Commitment Program, the Student Assistance Program, off-campus job opportunities, and graduate assistantships for graduate students.

    Veteran’s Programs
    Veteran’s programs are part of benefits offered to veterans of the U.S. armed forces that allow our servicemen to achieve their higher education goals. The Office of Veteran’s Affairs oversees all veteran’s programs including the Yellow Ribbon Grant program. Information pertaining to this award is located on the application form and on the Veterans’ Affairs website. For additional information about the Yellow Ribbon Grant as well as military withdrawal information, please visit the Office of the Registrar’s website.

    UM also offers the Scholarships for Children and Spouses of Deceased or Disabled Veterans and Service members (CSDDV.) For more information on CSDDV click here.